Is it an Emergency?
Does your pet need emergency care? Here are situations and answers to common questions that necessitate a call or visit to PEC.
How do I know if my pet needs veterinary care?
- My pet ate rat poison, chocolate, pills, or fill-in-the-blank. A list of toxic substances for cats and dogs may be found here.
- Difficult or labored breathing
- Any trauma (hit by car, lacerations, etc.)
- Lethargy or unusual restlessness
- Seizure activity
- Difficulty urinating, bloody urine, unable to urinate
- Rapid swelling or distention, especially on head or abdomen
- Vomiting / loss of appetite
- Diarrhea / constipation
- Excessive salivation
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficult or unusual movement
- Elevated or sudden drop in body temperature
- Rapid or extremely slow pulse
- Excessive coughing or sneezing
- Excessive water consumption
- Porcupine Quills
- Any marked change in behavior
Dealing With Emergencies
- Be cautious when handling injured pets. Animals in pain frequently become aggressive, even when they are normally friendly.
- DO NOT attempt home remedies. They frequently make the situation worse.
- If your pet ate medication, rodent poison, chocolate, or any other potentially toxic item bring the wrapper/container with you.
- If your pet has ingested a potentially poisonous substance, you can call National Animal Poison Control at 1(888) 426-4435. Please be aware there is a consultation fee associated with this service. They will provide you with a case number that can be referenced if your pet needs emergency treatment by one of our veterinarians.
- Try to remain calm.
Monday through Friday:
5:00 pm to 8:00 am
5:00 pm Friday to 8:00 am Monday
open 24 hours